"Omnia Uno Unus Omnibus"

Do you like this site?
(Open until 9/29/2014 9:35:43 AM)

Yes

No

Dont Know

Dont care

We are up and running! To retrieve your password use this link Retrieve password
If you are having problems email me - admin/at/htmljunction/dot/com

I am aware of the pages loading slow and Im working on it.

Advanced Search

All Forums>> Other Games >> Everything else >> Board and Table Top Games
1 2 [3]
Author
Topic
Scrogdog
2611 Posts

LIB
Landlubber

Posted on 10/13/2011
Thanks, Hoser, I'll be sure to amend the other topic and tell people to look here for the Vassal stuff. :)

One thing I should mention; with most Vassal modules it is not technically legal to play them unless you own the game.  In the case of Space Infantry we're legally ok, because the game started as a free print and play game, and that's the version that we play in Vassal; not the commercial release.

This generally means that another Vassal module might leave out some key things like player aids or whatever so you can't play without owning the game.  Of course, a diligent search of the Internet may reveal what you are missing and let you grab it, but you didn't hear that from me.  :curtain:

That said, it is perfectly legal to use a module to check out components and cards or whatever.

At this point, a lot of people are probably wondering why, if I'm such a war gamer, that all I've talked about is Sci-fi, card games and D&D.  Fear not, the next few games I talk about will be more along the lines of traditional war games.

That said, I probably will want to talk about newer games with innovative systems rather than hex and counter games, though those are always good too, of course.  But I am very impressed with, say, the use of cards to introduce random events and in some cases, dictating what you can and can't do on a turn.
  Edited on 10/13/2011
IP Address Logged   
Scrogdog
2611 Posts

LIB
Landlubber

Posted on 10/23/2011
Ok, next we’ll talk about actual war games (yay!) and the concept of print and play.

Print and play games are games that require physical components but “the plan” for the games are what you download on the Internet.  This download will typically be a .pdf file that contains the rules, the maps, the charts and the art for cards, tokens, chits and counters.  Depending on the game, of course.  A PnP card game may not have tokens, chits and counters, for example, but some do.

The first game I will talk about today is called Lock and Load.  It’s a game that is tactical in nature and is sort of like AH’s old Squad Leader.  You command squads of men, but individual men on the battlefield, like leaders and chaplains, can make a difference.

This is actually a game system, again like SL, and covers many actions through history from WWII onward.  However, it is a much more straightforward system.  A lot of fun here with not nearly as much complexity.  Some old grogs criticize the game, in fact, as being more about Hollywood than the actual war.  Hey, as long as it’s fun, fine with me. :)

Anyway, LnL is a commercial game available through (and is the flagship title of) Lock’ n Load Publishing.  I chose this particular game because it has free demos that are PnP.

Here are the files

I recommend that you start with the second title on the list “Band of Heroes”. This is a WWII D-Day scenario.

When you download the game, you’ll end up with a 32 page .pdf file.

There are many potential costs they you may incur trying to construct a PnP game.  This demo presents the simplest; all paper baby!

Do not print page 1 or page 32.  These are promo ad pages and will soak up color ink at an alarming rate.  Print pages 2, 3 and 4 in full color.  Print pages 5-31 in black and white and be sure to pick this option else your color cartridge will still be used to try and emulate all gray-scale tones perfectly.

When you are done, you essentially have the game. Now all you have to do is cut, fold and glue (Elmers or glue stick) and play the game on the paper map.  The counters are able to be manipulated because they are twice as thick as the map.

All well and good but if you wanted to give this as a gift, or make it an actual game in your collection, would you be so minimalist in construction?

That is the decision you face with PnP.  Making a beautiful game is much different from making a functional one.  Making a beautiful game is a craft, like building model ships. The other side of it is that if you download a free PnP, you risk nothing and just get to view the files.

That said, I will end with a game that costs $15 called "Corsair Leader" but its brethren would cost you far more. The ‘Leader” series is quite popular right now. And costs from $60 to $85 to get in to.

I have also made a prototype copy myself and learned a lot by making it.

http://www.wargamedownloads.com/item.php?item=276&pics=

Pictures of the prototype will follow.
  Edited on 10/23/2011
IP Address Logged   
All Forums>> Other Games >> Everything else >> Board and Table Top Games