"Omnia Uno Unus Omnibus"

Do you like this site?
(Open until 9/29/2014 9:35:43 AM)

Yes

No

Dont Know

Dont care

We are up and running! To retrieve your password use this link Retrieve password
If you are having problems email me - admin/at/htmljunction/dot/com

I am aware of the pages loading slow and Im working on it.

Advanced Search

All Forums>> Other Games >> Technical tips & advice >> NEW COMPUTER OR WHAT???
[1] 2
Author
Topic
Ben Gun
1167 Posts

LIB
Landlubber

Posted on 10/12/2005
Hi shipmates! ;D

Say, I sure appreciate your feedback here guys, but I see a delema coming up. ??? ???

I have noted several items that I will get to upgrade

1. An AMD Athilon 64 3200 Processor
2. An ASUS A8v DL wifi-G Motherboard (Includes Sound Card).
3. Two 512Mb memory chips (gives me a gig of RAM).
4. A LITON DID Re-Writer
5. Two Seagate 80 Gig HD's

I am stuck for a good graphics card guys, if ye can let me knows what ye thinks here please?

My current card will not do at all., being AGP bus.

Now all this equipment costs around the 450 mark..and I haven't chosen a graphics card yet!

My delema is...do I go for a NEW computer entirely? ..given that the price difference may be so close PC World has offered me the following:

* AMD Athlon 64 3200 Processor
* 512Mb DDR RAM
* 160Gb Hard Disk Drive
* M-Format Duel Layer DVD Re-Writer Drive
* Graphics Memory
* 256Mb ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Graphics
* 9-in-1 Media Card Reader
* 7 USB2 Ports
* Windows XP Home Edition
1 year warranty at 449.99

Your valued opinions would be greatly appreciated here lads! ;D
  Edited on 10/12/2005
IP Address Logged   

H. Barbarossa
2630 Posts

LIB
Landlubber

Posted on 10/12/2005

All I can surely say, DON'T get XP Home edition mate.

Edited on 10/12/2005
IP Address Logged   
 Hayreddin Barbarossa, aka Mouzafphaerre/Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...
by Ben Gunn
Radek
2809 Posts

LIB
Landlubber

Posted on 10/12/2005
Hi Ben, I wouldnt choose any of them in this form for some reasons.

Almost all of todays motherboards have integrated sound card but it isnt too good to use it because they slowering computer because the processor is more occupied. Personally I never use this integrated sound card although I have it.

Window XP is good. If you dont have it and use Win98SE IMO you should buy it. Although some older games didnt work for you it is really worthy of using. The assets outweigh the shortcomings. I very long time persisted to exchange my Win 98SE for Win XP and know I know it was a good decision. Oh, some important matter ! I think no or almost no new video card supports Win 98SE. If you use Win 98 and if you will plan to buy some new video card it is very probable this new video cards ever wont work on your new computer. Beware it!

The 512 MB RAM is too little. 1 GB is todays standart. I would personally choose 1 GB modul for easier upgrade to 2 GB although I have 2 x 500 MB on my computer. But some motherboards have so called dual channel and likes 2 RAM moduls for faster performance. I think for example NVidia chipsets has this functions and probably some others. It is better ask for advice some expert in your concrete case. But maybe some new motherboards even demand two RAM modules now. I really dont know.

I think the 80 GB hardrive is too small today, although I have one older 80 GB IBM hardrive too and one 160 GB IBM hardrive. It is good to have two hardrives but not so small. In the case of the new computer I would choose better one bigger HD first and after some time I would buy the second one. Very important thing is relation price/capacity. The 160 GB hardrives are quite cheap, maybe even 240 GB hardrives, but with higher capacity the prices increase very fast. So that I think it isnt too economical to buy for example 400 GB hardrive today because they are too expensive yet. And I would prefer Hitachi (IBM) hardrive before Seagate HD. In the past I had several Seagate HD but they were only average hardrives.

I think Radeon XP 200 even with 256 MB is out of fashion low performance video card, because today there are even Radeon 850 XL. I think it wouldnt be better from your GF 4600 Ti. I would recommended something that I have now, for example GF 6600GT. Have a look at my post, please. My card has data permeability 14,4 GB/s and I have overclocked it so that I think it has now about 16 GB/s. But such a card as Radeon 850XL has permeability 30GB/s. So, choice is yours.

Ben, very importan think in the new computer is power supply. I have electrical output 350 W but it is rather minimum this time because almost all the new video cards with higher performance are very demanding on this electrical output. The faster video card is the higher electrical output they demand. For example GF6800 GT demand as minumum 400W power supply and version ultra even 450 W. For that reason I would recommended to buy minimally 400W power supply but better 450 W or even 500W for some close next future using. One of the reasons except the money why I didnt want to buy faster video card than 6600 GT for myself was my 350W power supply. It is important too to buy some good and quality mark of this power supply. There are differences between them in stability, noisiness and so on. And many new video cards including my GF 6600 GT demand own connection to power supply as for example hardrives or CD and DVD. But in the case of new computer and new power supply it shouldnt be any problem. They have quite enough connectors.
And some more think yet. There are many variations of those cards even when they are of the same type and mark for example GF 6600. In the case of these cards is very important this GT because their RAMs are very fast - 2ns DDR3 and clocked on higher frequency than in the course of normal GF6600 for example. But GF 6800 GT has GDDR3 RAM which are even better and faster than DDR3 RAMs but those cards are twice more expensive than those GF 6600 GT cards. For example GF 6600 GT costs about 180 dollars but GF 6800 GT costs about 400 dollars already. Also Radeons have its lightwight versions, common versions, ultra high performance versions and so on. Beware it! It is quite important too.

By the way where do you have the motherboard in the second case? The offer from this PC World seems to me very doubtful. What is the graphic memory? I dont know this term. It seems to me as though this Radeon X200 was integrated video card on the motherboard which is the worst think that can exist in this branch. Such computer with integrated video card is hardly good for bookkeeping only.

I think you will be compelled to buy practically all the new computer including the new case and power supply. It is better to buy case without power supply in the case when power suply isnt powerfull or of a good mark and buy some strong and good one and mount it.

This motherboar ASUS A8V seems to me good. I have just now
ASUS A6V with AGP and for 32 bit Athlons and this motherboard is very stable contrary to my previous MSI motherboards. ;)

By the way what computer do you have just now? ;)

So, Ben I think if you will want to have something which will be good for some longer time you will be probably compelled to dig a little deeper into your pocket yet. :) ;) :banana:

Edited on 10/12/2005
IP Address Logged   

Radek
2809 Posts

LIB
Landlubber

Posted on 10/12/2005
Hayreddin, I dont know. I have Win XP home edition and it works quite good for me. Professional version was too expensive for me. But it is true sometimes some game doesnt work on my computer but that doesnt happen too often, but sometimes it happens even in the case of some new games. But I think nobody can say all the games work on his/her computer properly. As I talk from time to time with various guys and watch some game forums, they tell and write they have various problems with various games. I admit the professional version will be probably better but who can afford to buy it for home using if it is much more expensive? I cant afford that. For that reason I am buying rather older and cheaper games although not in all cases (pirate games, Gothic, Morrowind and so on. ;)
  Edited on 10/12/2005
IP Address Logged   

H. Barbarossa
2630 Posts

LIB
Landlubber

Posted on 10/12/2005

The thing about XP Home is like the original Audigy Rad. ;) Works for many but also doesn't for as many.

Edited on 10/12/2005
IP Address Logged   
 Hayreddin Barbarossa, aka Mouzafphaerre/Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...
by Ben Gunn
All Forums>> Other Games >> Technical tips & advice >> NEW COMPUTER OR WHAT???