"Omnia Uno Unus Omnibus"

Do you like this site?
(Open until 9/29/2014 9:35:43 AM)

Yes

No

Dont Know

Dont care

We are up and running! To retrieve your password use this link Retrieve password
If you are having problems email me - admin/at/htmljunction/dot/com

I am aware of the pages loading slow and Im working on it.

Advanced Search

All Forums>> Other Games >> Technical tips & advice >> Removing Games Fragments (Help! :P)
[1] 2 ... 6
Author
Topic
clokendagger
590 Posts

LIB
Landlubber

Posted on 3/13/2004
Does anyone know how to remove game fragments from one's computer so I can re-install them?
(and, yeah, I guess it's pretty lame of me to come by just to ask for help after not having been around for months, but there it is :-\ )
To be more specific about the problem, I have about three games that are gone from my computer in every respect except they're still on my add/remove programs list. Two of them, the folders they were in were accidentally deleted. One of them, I uninstalled it to save space, but an error of some kind occurred during the uninstall process.
The upshot of all that is, all the files are gone, but if I try to re-install them, the autorun on the CD just gives me the option to uninstall as if they were still there. And of course, since all the files are gone, the uninstaller can't really do anything, can't clean whatever it is that's still there so I can start over.
I bought this program called Registry Healer that's supposed to take care of problems like this (since I can't understand the process enough to use free programs like Regedit or Regalyzer ), but after it corrected 1300+ errors in the registry the lost games were still listed in add/remove and the problem still existed.
Does anyone know how I might correct this without doing something horribly drastic like reformatting the drive or doing a factory restore?
  Edited on 3/13/2004
IP Address Logged   
Clokendagger, Den Mother, GSA (Girl Scouts of the Archipelago) Indian Boat "Mystic Mint"
Flameberge
1255 Posts

LIB
Landlubber

Posted on 3/13/2004
er...not sure if it's sensible, but when I'm faced with this type of problem, I explore the cd (using win explorer :P) and go straight to setup and run it via there, in the same directory the game was in. The once that's done I usually uninstall it properly, then use autorun to install it....hope this helps...and makes sense ;D
  Edited on 3/13/2004
IP Address Logged   
Scrogdog
2611 Posts

LIB
Landlubber

Posted on 3/13/2004
There are only a couple of options here. Try Flame's idea, it will certainly do no harm. If that doesn't work, well, you need an expert in manual registry editing to help. That person is not me. :)

Other than that, back up and system restore which you dread. :) When all is said and done though, problems like this tend to be annoying but aren't showstoppers. Maybe you just live with it?

Great to see you Cloke! It's been a dog's age.
  Edited on 3/13/2004
IP Address Logged   
H. Barbarossa
2630 Posts

LIB
Landlubber

Posted on 3/14/2004

Hey Cloke! It's great to see you around, whatever the occasion! ;D

I can't offer any further help, sorry. But you may try some third party software that can do "spring cleanup" on your computer. I won't give any names because I don't know of any that worked with mine. (My add/remove programs console doesn't appear at all! I got used to living without it. :ilol:)

Edited on 3/14/2004
IP Address Logged   
 Hayreddin Barbarossa, aka Mouzafphaerre/Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...
by Ben Gunn
clokendagger
590 Posts

LIB
Landlubber

Posted on 3/14/2004
Thanks for the cheerful greetings, lads; it's nice to hear from you too. :)

And for the help. Flame's idea got me 1 out of 3 games back (Silent Hunter II), for which I'm grateful, since I have some mods for it that I never got around to exploring, and anyway it's just one of those great games with a lot of replay value, and one which I'm sorry has no longer any MP appeal. The sites are still there but the lobbies are always empty. :-<

So, thanks there Flame! :D

Scrog and HB, I'm equally grateful for the effort, though unfortunately I think Scrog is accurate in his assessment( get an expert, or bite the bullet and system restore, or just give it up and learn to live with it.)

I already tried plunking down $20 bucks on some idiot-friendly registry clean-up ware, but it turned out like throwing good money after bad since it fixed 1300 other problems I was previously unaware of but did nothing to help the ones I was trying to fix.

The free program I got, Regalyzer, I simply don't have the knowledge or smarts to use or even understand. Though I would definitely reccomend this other program from the same site, Spybot S&D, a free, user-friendly program that eliminates spyware from your system. It was kind of disturbing how much of it I found.
You can get it here if you don't already have it:

http://www.safer-networking.org/

I guess I probably will end up biting the bullet and system restoring sometime after all, as one of the games (B-17: Flying Fortress) not only represents about an $80 investment (have to include the price of the joystick, since it's the game I bought it for and the only one I've ever used/needed it for), but I also never really got to an end with it and still really want to play. Oh well, there are worse problems in life. :-\

Thanks again, and take care. :) :cheers:
:cheers: :cheers:
  Edited on 3/14/2004
IP Address Logged   
Clokendagger, Den Mother, GSA (Girl Scouts of the Archipelago) Indian Boat "Mystic Mint"
All Forums>> Other Games >> Technical tips & advice >> Removing Games Fragments (Help! :P)